Over 40% of food bank clients are children. With winter upon us, Business Cares needs your support.
Last year your support did get through! Your generosity helped us deliver 307,800 lbs. of food to the London and Area Food Bank in December 2015!
The Business Cares Food Drive Committee would like to thank you for supporting the Food Drive. With your support we hope to make this year's drive even better!
So where do the funds go?
The funds donated to the Business Cares program support the following programs:
- Community Harvest – A program to increase the amount of fresh produce donated from local farmers to the food bank. This includes growing projects, harvest and gleaning teams and straight food donations. In its third year, over 100,000 pounds ($200,000 value) of fresh local fruit and vegetables have been donated this year. The direct cost of this program is only $40,000;
- Milk Purchases: In a program with the OAFB (Ontario Association of Food Banks), the Dairy farmers, producers, processors, packagers and transporters were donating milk to most of the Ontario Food Banks. Currently we receive enough milk donations to help about a quarter of the clients coming in. We now purchase enough to make sure every family gets fresh milk;
- Egg Purchases: Eggs are purchased so that every family also has a source of good quality protein. Eggs are the most cost effective way for a family in need to increase the amount of protein in their diet;
- Food purchases. Throughout the year we get opportunities to buy food that is great value or purchases of skids arranged by the Ontario Association of Food Banks, and local fresh purchases including fruit and vegetables; and
- Baby Food: Volunteers purchase monthly baby formula tailored to the current demand.